Premises and Finance
Premises and Finance (Staffing) Committee
To provide support and challenge to the leadership of the school and to hold them to account in relation to the use of resources to support the priorities of the school including: the leadership of teaching and learning; the school budget; the employment and development of staff and the premises.
50% of membership.
Terms of reference
- To ensure the school adheres to the local authority’s conditions of the Scheme for Financing Schools and Financial Regulations.
- To ensure the school meets the relevant statutory requirements in relation to the School Financial Value Standard (SFVS) and that financial resources are managed effectively and the school provides value for money
- To produce the annual budget for presentation to the governing body for approval including the delegation of responsibilities to budget managers
- To monitor the budget on a regular basis and provide termly updates (as a minimum) to the GB
- To exercise vire-ment between heads of expenditure of the budget up to a limit of £5000 (as agreed by the Governing Body)
- To make decisions in respect of service agreements and contracts up to a specified limit
- To make recommendations to the governing body with regard to a policy on charging and remissions
- To oversee the longer term strategic planning of the school finances
- To review reports by internal audit as to the effectiveness of financial procedures and controls
- To monitor the income and expenditure of all non-public (voluntary) funds and ensure an audit of these funds is carried out annually
- To ensure that Premises and finance committee minutes and all decisions made are reported to the next meeting of the governing body
- Ensure matters of school security, school premises and health and safety are addressed
- To ensure that staffing committee minutes and all decisions made are reported to the next meeting of the governing body
- Ensure a staffing structure is in place which meets the needs and priorities of the school and that requirements in relation to safer recruitment practices are met.
- Ensure that a system is in place for staff appraisals and related CPD provision
- Make decisions on pay awards for staff following recommendations from the Head teacher/review governors based on the outcome of the appraisal process.
- Ensure a robust system is in place to monitor the quality of teaching and address underperformance
- Ensure that responsibilities in relation to NQT are met and to support new school leaders as relevant
Monitor and review on a scheduled basis relevant statutory policies including:
- Health and safety
- Accessibility Plan
- Educational visits.
- Staff appraisal
- Staff pay and conditions
- Staff discipline, conduct and grievance
Please see below for relevenat documents relating to this committee.